June 16 & 17, 11 am – 5 pm
Filberg Heritage Lodge & Park, Comox
The largest seafood celebration of the Festival, perfect for foodies who love BC seafood & spirits, music lovers, and families who want to explore & learn about the oceans and seafood!
- Learn to Cook BC Seafood at numerous Celebrity Chef Demos featuring National and International Chefs
- Take in action-packed competitions including the Fanny Bay Oyster Shucking Competition and the Ocean Wise® Chowder Challenge
- Enjoy 10+ BC Seafood Roving Tasting Stations; meet the producers and incredible chefs (items generally cost $1 – $6 per portion)
- Pair seafood at any of the 15+ BC Craft Beer, Wine and Spirit Tastings Stations (Tickets available in advance online or on-site)
- While you slurp seafood, enjoy live musical performances
- Explore the Kids Interactive Zone featuring numerous Touch Tanks & Interactive Displays, including the first visit to the Festival by the Vancouver Aquarium AquaVan
Seafood Tasting Stations
- Filberg Summer Kitchen
- West Coast Scallops
- Fanny Bay Oysters
- Jamie’s Rainforest Inn
- High Tide Public House
- Effingham Oysters / Raven Lady
- Match Eatery & Public House
- The Pickled Carrot
- Thriftys Mobile Kitchen
- Culinary Team BC
- Mac’s Oysters
- North Vancouver Island Chefs Association
- Hester Creek Estate Winery
- Averill Creek Vineyard
- Shelter Point Distillery
- Tour de Rock, Lemonade/ Water
- Sea Cider Farm & Ciderhouse
- Sheringham Distillery
- Blue Grouse Winery
- Fitzpatrick Family Vineyards
- 40 Knots Winery
- Stag’s Hollow
- Raven’s Moon Cider
- Townsite Brewing
- Wayward Distillation House
- Coastal Black Estate Winery
- Beach Fire Brewing
- Gladstone Brewing Company
- Rocky Mountain Coffee Company
Interactive & Educational Stations
- Ocean Wise® Seafood Program: The Ocean Wise® seafood program is a conservation program that helps consumers to make ocean-friendly choices by identifying sustainable options with the Ocean Wise® logo. Come play the fish fillet matching game and learn about ocean conservation as well as what you can do to affect change.
- Ocean Wise® AquaVan: The AquaVan will be making a splash with live animals from marine habitats of British Columbia’s coast. Come touch a sea star, examine a crab and learn about connections between yourself and our oceans; open from 11:30 AM – 4:30 PM each day.
- Project Watershed: Project Watershed truly believes in education and involvement for everyone from children to seniors. Stop by our booth for free kiddies’ activity sheets related watersheds, as well as a very special colouring book about life in the K’omoks Estuary for only $2. You may learn about the Kus-kus-sum project (former Field Sawmill) and how it will transform into a perfect salmon and bird habitat. Tickets to the June 28 – July 1 Nomadic Tempest Show by Caravan Stage Co. will be available. Get your hand stamped too!
- Mountain Avian Rescue Society: MARS is your local wildlife rescue and rehabilitation centre. We take care of approx 700 native animals each year. Conservation and education are part of our mandate. We will have one of our ambassador birds in attendance. We will also have for sale wildlife tote bags made by our volunteers.
- Town of Comox – Recreation Dept: Ocean themed interactive arts & crafts.
- Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre: Check out plankton and other sea life from Barkley Sound up close and personal under the microscopes.
- Island Scallops Touch Tanks: Island Scallops represents Canada’s largest private marine research hatchery and first fully-integrated shellfish producer. Come check us out our touch table and get educated.
- DFO Aquaculture Management: There will be a model of shellfish aquaculture farm, a model of marine fish net pen, a model of a freshwater re-circulating aquaculture farm, videos for aquaculture production, statistics, graphs, charts, and posters.
- Comox Valley Regional District: Beach Walk at Goose Spit on Sunday, June 17th at 3:00 PM for 1 hour. Shoreline attack: How waves and wind shape our beaches and coastline. Learn the forces at work along Lazo bluffs and the spit. See how both exposed and protected beaches are constantly changing. Learn how the Spit was created and how it may look 20 years from now. Meet at the bottom of Goose Spit stairs (parking lot #1).
- Excel Career College: As BC’s leading Aquaculture Career Training provider, Excel Career College is pleased to present a fully interactive live touch tank for the festival. Not only will visitors be able to learn about BC’s Aquaculture species but they will also be able to touch them and see live specimens first hand.
- Alyssa Penner: An artist from Campbell River. Will showcase her art on-site in the Filberg Lodge.
Kids Cooking Classes
For youth ages 5-12 years
Duration: 30-45 minutes
Times: 11:30 AM, 12:30 PM, 1:30 PM
Learn how to make these delicious shrimp tacos! You’ll learn how to clean and cook the shrimp, make the perfect complimentary sauce, and all the fixings.
Registration coming soon!
Seafood Stir Fry
For youth ages 10-15 years
Duration: 30-45 minutes
Times offered: 3:00 PM, 4:00 PM
Learn how to make this colourful seafood stir-fry over a bed of rice. You’ll prepare and cook the seafood, chop up vegetables, cook rice, and put it all together for a complete and delicious meal!
Registration coming soon!
FortisBC BC Seafood Festival Chef Challenge Registration
We are inviting all past & current BC Seafood Festival chefs to participate in the creation of a new event to feature BC chefs and seafood excellence, the FortisBC BC Seafood Festival Chef Challenge – a unique competition for chefs to showcase their skills and show how they create incredible seafood culinary excellence.
The competition will take place at the BC Seafood Festival during the Signature Weekend, June 16-17, 2018 in the Comox Valley, Vancouver Island.
The top prize will be $5000 and second prize $1500 thanks to FortisBC, and all of the equipment is being proudly sponsored by Garland Canada!
If you are interested in competing, please fill out the linked application at your earliest convenience.
Saturday, June 16 – Live music from ABRA Cadabra
Sunday, June 17 – Live music from Georgia Strait Big Band